Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Raven Coat


I am one class shy of being done with finals for the term, and I had the pleasure of being able to tie in a project I have been wanting to make for awhile now as the final project in my Design class. Our assignment was to create a six word story. I came up with "Through the starry sky they reign". I used the ravens to represent the Mother, Madien, and Crone, and used elements from my SCA arms to inspire the design.

I was lucky enough to find this piece of blue wool at St. Vinnie's for under $10. It even had the Pendleton Woolen Mills tag still on it. It practically screamed "make a coat out of me". The lining was a gift from my Laurel when she took me as an apprentice. I had to do several layouts to make sure the pattern could be cut from the lining since it was only 36" wide.

I am really happy with the result, and kinda bummed that I won't get the chance to wear it until August.



Shoulder Raven



Rayonny Cuff Detail

Raven Detail

Raven with three stars

Outer shell of coat nearly assembled

Creating the runes

Pinning them into place before ironing

The finished coat

Add caption






No comments: